Tuesday, March 22, 2011

If this is 35, I feel bad for 40 year olds

Of all of the birthday's I've had in my 35 years of being here, there are 2 that really stand out. And it's not exactly in a good way. Oh, I remember having some fun birthday's. There were several at the Rolling Thunder skating rink where I was the coolest kid at Hubbard school because I got to ride in the big skate and be pushed around the rink. And there was the boy/girl party my mom regretted letting me have in 6th grade because of an unfortunate incident with a few boys and some raw eggs. I couldn't help that. My mom had 3 boys of her own, she should've known things like that would happen.

My 16th birthday was a bad day. Really bad. March 22, 1992. We were on spring break and we had gone on a ski trip with our church. I'm not going to go into it all, but I will say that that was the day that I realized why some cliffs are marked with a sign that has a big X on it. And why you should NEVER move the sign out of the way so that you can get some air coming off that cliff. Oh, I got air. But when I came to, I was hyperventilating, so technically I guess you would say I lost air. Anyway, Craig had to stay with me at ski patrol because my dad was no where to be found on the mountain and my mom was not even ON the mountain. I remember lying (ok, I say laying, but I know lying is correct. Or I think it is) on my back with my hands up in the air like I was still holding my ski poles. My fingers wouldn't move. I don't remember all the details, but I remember it not being good. And it was the first time I actually wondered if I had died and this is what death was like.

Fast-forward 19 years to today. March 22, 2011. Also not a good day. Although I didn't think I was dying, so I guess not as bad as 1992, but it's fresh on my mind, so it FEELS worse. So I passed my stone Sunday, but I haven't felt good at all since, and I'm really hurting today. Passing another? I don't know. What I do know is that I spent 3 hours this afternoon at the doctor's office. After peeing in a cup, having blood drawn, and getting yet, another x-ray, I found out that they really can't find anything. Umm.. HELLO!! Keep looking because I know something's not right! She came in after she got my blood results and asked if I ate out much. I was like, "are you really going to judge me at a time like this?!" Ok, I didn't say it, but I sure thought it loud enough. Anyway, she went on to say that my liver function is just a little elevated, which could be the beginning of Hepatitis A. And what was my first question? "DO YOU DIE FROM THAT!?" Apparently you don't. And she doesn't even think that's what it is. It's just a possibility. And I guess people that eat out a lot are more at risk of catching it. So is this my sign to cook at home more?

Anyway. After losing it as politely as possible to the receptionist about people that came in after me getting called before me (oh yes, I was THAT woman today), and having a crying meltdown because of pain while waiting on my blood tests, and being asked for the 10th time in the past week if there is any chance I might be pregnant, I now sit at home tonight, alone, wishing I felt good enough to be at the movies with my husband and boys. But I don't. So I think I'll take a narcotic and go to bed. Hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do get to feeling better very soon my friend! And happy birthday! Even though it wasn't the best.

    ReplyDelete