Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Thanksgiving is always a busy time for us around here. It was so busy for us this year that I got lost somewhere between the turkey and the cake balls, but I found my way again after a 'normal' day yesterday with the kids back to school and Robbie back to work.

We've seen a lot of family over the past few days. On Thursday, we started at my in-laws house in Hope where we had our first Thanksgiving meal. Robbie's parents, his sister, Kristi, and her family were all there. We had a yummy meal for which I made red velvet cake balls and Mississippi Mud cake. And I am happy to report that I finally discovered the secret to a beautiful cake ball, so they may be making their appearance more often from me. Not that I'll be making them daily now, but if you invite me to something, I'll be the one in charge of the cake balls.

Who knew a pretty cake ball could bring such self-satisfaction?
Aaron, Brynne, Austin, and Brett

Soon after we finished eating, we went just outside of Hope where my mom's side of the family were. A lot of the people that go to that Thanksgiving are people I only get to see once a year, so while we are there I try to make my rounds and talk to the ones that I don't see often.

Ok, y'all know how your mouth says something before your brain approves it? That happened to me when I was talking to my cousin, Rhonda. I've known Rhonda my entire life, but she lives in the Houston area so I really only see her once, maybe twice a year. And every time I've ever seen her she is with her beautiful mother, Joan. I was well aware of the fact that she is married, and has been for a long time, but I don't remember ever meeting him. So when Rhonda introduced her husband to me, my mouth talked before my brain thought and this is what came out, "This is your husband? I've never pictured you with a man!"

Why didn't I just say "nice to meet you"? I did not mean to imply anything with that, other than I've never seen her with anyone but her mom, but it just didn't come out that way. Anyway, Jay, if you are reading this, IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU! Not sure if I ever got around to saying that!

And I have to say, I'm glad this happened with Rhonda and not someone else because she is just as crazy as I am, which is why I love her. :)

On Thursday night we went to my brother, Johnny's house where we had dinner and then Robbie, Luke, Kaulyn, and I played a game of nerts. Luckily I didn't say anything stupid like I did earlier that day.

Or at least I don't think I did.

On Friday, my birth mom and her husband came to our house, along with my sister, Reva, and her family. Friday was a beautiful day so we spent a lot of it outside on the dock talking and watching the kids throw rocks in the pond. The boys rode 4-wheelers and played ball. And Marty even spent some time building a special little place for our outside dog to have more shelter since it's getting colder outside. It was so nice to get to spend a day with all of them. I only wish it could happen more.

On Saturday, we went to my parents house to celebrate Thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family. The only other time of the year that we get together with that side of the family at their house is on Easter, which may explain why Austin walked around carrying a basket of Easter eggs, begging people to hide them for him.
All of my parents grand kids: Kaleb, Austin, Jennifer, Brandon, Luke, Aaron, and Kaulyn

Dude. Wrong holiday.

But I do understand that hunting eggs is fun and should be done more than once a year. Who can blame the kid?

When we got back into town on Saturday night, we went to Best Buy to get some TV's for the new house (that we will eventually move in to a some point within the next few months). We already had 4 bar stools that we bought at Kohl's, and with the TV's in the car with us too, we barely had room left for the boys.


Unfortunately the people at Best Buy do not allow you to leave your kids at the store if you buy too much, so we had to find a way to squeeze them into the car with us and all of the boxes. And I'm glad we did, because HOW CUTE ARE THEY?!

I will try to post some house pics later this week. Our cabinet/trim guys are almost finished, and the painters have already started with the caulking and pre-paint work. We're getting there. Slowly. But we are going to get there.

And because my nephew, Luke, is so hard to get a picture of, I had to include this one. On Wednesday for Austin's birthday, my mom and I took all of the kids to eat lunch at McDonald's and then went to the movies to see Happy Feet 2 (which I actually fell asleep in). I was impressed that my niece, Jennifer, was able to get this picture of Luke in McDonald's.

Well done, Jennifer. I know this was not an easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment