Saturday, November 12, 2011

I'm Just Ready to Move In

Well, I think I'm close to giving up on the idea of being in the new house by Christmas. I've already had to let go of the idea of being in by Thanksgiving (how is that less than 2 weeks away already?!) but the way the math is adding up on contractors times, Christmas will be pushing it. Here's how it seems to be playing out:

Cabinet and Trim work: another 1 1/2 weeks (end around Nov 23rd)
Painter: 3 weeks (end around Dec 16th)
Tile: (end around Dec 30th) (See how Christmas day just flew right by us?)

I think all of the other workers that need to come do their finishing up can come while some of the other things are going on. So I'm wondering if I should change my goal from being in by Christmas to being in by January 1st, or should I tell the painter that 3 weeks is a ridiculous amount of time to paint one house? I've even considered painting a large portion of it myself because I KNOW I can roll a paint roller on a wall and I also know that I'm just READY TO MOVE IN THIS HOUSE.

Seems like I've mentioned that before. But y'all. I'M READY TO BE IN THE HOUSE.

Ok, you get the point.

This week I went to the paint store and got some samples for wall colors that I'm considering. And I need help. Any advice is welcome and will be taken into consideration. For my living room and kitchen, I'm thinking yellow. But you don't go to the paint store and tell them that you want a gallon of yellow. You look at all 2,647 different shades of yellow and try to pick one out of that. Here are 2 shades that I'm thinking about:


I felt like I was straight off of an HGTV show painting different colors on the wall to see how it looks and then standing back from it and thinking 'hmmm... yellow or yellow, that is the question'.

And here are the colors I'm considering for our room:


Blue or blue, that is the next question.

Our bedding is a neutral color and I know that I want reddish accents in the room, so the wall color can go either way. I really cannot decide on these colors. I like them both.

As far as the house progress in the past few weeks, here's what we have going on. All of the cabinets, other than the kitchen, have been built. In the next week, they will get all of the kitchen and pantry done, they will finish out our garage, they will get all of the drawers built and get the cabinet doors in and put on, and get our stairs done. Here are a few pics of where we are today:
Built-in's in the game room

Kitchen

Rolled towel holder above the tub in the master bath

Aaron's room is one of my favorite places. We got rough cut wood for one wall and we got some of Rob's grandmas old tin fence to put along the bottom of the room. Seriously, LOVE THIS.

I love how everything is turning out. I've already had a few of those 'if I had this to re-do, I would do this instead' moments, but overall I am really happy with it. I designed this house pretty much by myself. I spent about 2 years designing the house plan, and to see it all coming together is like giving birth to my house baby. It's like another child that we've worked and prayed for for years. And it will be like another child in that it will need cleaned and taken care of.

And will cost us money out the wazoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment