Monday, July 16, 2012

Camp, Job, Surgery, and Friends

Last Sunday, we set out for Oklahoma to drop Aaron off for a week at Mountain Fork Christian Camp. This is the camp I went to when I was growing up, and to see my kids up there just makes my heart happy.
Aaron and Austin, sitting on Aaron's bunk.

There are three weeks of camp every summer. The senior session, middle session, and junior session. This year was Aaron's last year at junior camp, which makes me sad for a few reasons. One, it means my efforts to keep him from growing up aren't working. And two, my family pretty much runs the junior session. My oldest brother, Johnny, is the director for that session. His wife, another brother of mine, and my mom are all cooks. I had 2 nieces, 2 nephews, and another sister-in-law that were working up there as well this year. And Robbie is also usually up there to help, but didn't get to go this year.
Ethan, Aaron, and CJ
Aaron and Sam showing off their muscles

Aaron feels like he owns the camp in junior session, so I'm afraid middle session may be a rude awakening for him next year since he doesn't know many people that work it and he may not get to go back in the kitchen and request pizza on a bun while everyone else is having sandwiches.

Having to eat sandwiches with everyone else when you KNOW there must be some pizza on a bun left in the fridge...well that's just sad.
Aaron, Ethan, and CJ, getting silly
Aaron and his friend Madison in the kitchen

Camp goes from Sunday to Friday. We took him up there on Sunday, went back to visit on Wednesday, and went again on Friday to pick him up. I really like going up on Wednesday's because that's the night Billy Blakeney (aka Brother Billy) speaks. Brother Billy was my preacher while I was growing up, and he and his late wife, Mrs. Cornez, were like grandparents to me. He always mentions her during his Wednesday night camp devos, and I always leave with tears because I love this man more than I even have the words for. I know that when he passes they will have a beautiful reunion in heaven. Brother Billy married Robbie and I almost 15 years ago, so he has known Robbie for at least that long and they have gotten close (and have even shared a camper) the past few years of camp. I called them Gran and Granny when I was little, and still find myself calling him Gran sometimes.
Brother Billy, preaching in the Cornez Blakeney amphitheater

Mrs. Cornez passed away years ago, and the amphitheater at the camp is named after her. There is also a Billy and Cornez best camper award given out on Friday night, and I was so proud of Aaron getting runner-up for that award this year. He also got first place in the horseshoe tournament (which surprised me because I'm not sure he'd ever really played horseshoes before).

After the awards ceremony Friday night, Brother Billy and I were able to talk a while and he went on and on about how impressed he is with Aaron's willingness to help whenever needed and that he always has such a good attitude.

Coming from anyone else that may not have meant much.

But from this man, it meant everything.

Ok, I am crying. Must move on.

On a different note (because suddenly I'm a hot mess), I've been thinking about possibly going back to go to school to get my master's in education. I subbed quite a bit at the elemenatary February through May of this year and fell in love with everything about it. I decided the only way I could know for sure if this is really what I want to do is to spend as much time as possible at the school. So a few weeks ago, I interviewed for a job at the elementary school that Austin attends. On Thursday, the principal called to tell me that she would be recommending me to the school board to be hired. She texted me as soon as the meeting was over Thursday night to let me know that I had been approved, and I couldn't be more excited about it!

The past 11 (almost 12) years of my life I have been a SAHM (besides selling Mary Kay for many years and working part time at a preschool), so this will be a change for all of us. But I'm not worried since we had a dry run back in the spring with me subbing almost every day, and it worked very well for us. The boys like having me there, and, without going into everything I like about it, I will just say that I just feel like this is where I belong.

It is a welcomed change and I'm so very thankful for the opportunity.

Also on Thursday (as if getting a job wasn't enough for one day), I decided to have a hysterectomy. It's a decision I've gone back and forth on for 2 years now, but it is time. My surgery is scheduled for next week and will be done laproscopically, which means it is not as invasive and has a much shorter recovery time than the traditional method, so I should be recovered by the time school starts. I tell you this not because I think anyone cares to know my female issues, but to ask to be remembered in your prayers next week. I'm going into it hoping that I can be one of the many women that come out on the other side of it saying it was the best decision ever. I'm just ready to feel better.

And last but CERTAINLY not least, I got to see one of my favorite college friends, Carol, last week. She and her son, Bobby, came to our house last Sunday evening and spent the night with us. I haven't seen her in about 10 years, so there was a LOT of catching up to do. Carol and I shared a bunk bed for a few months while we were living in Italy, and we got to travel Europe together. It was so neat and a little surreal to see our kids playing together at our house almost 16 years later. She and I sat out on the dock Monday morning and talked while our kids drove each other around on the golf cart. It was just perfect and I was sad to see them leave when it was time to go.
Carol and I

Long talks with old friends...priceless. :)
Austin and Bobby

That's all for now. I hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment