Sunday, January 1, 2012

Highlights of '11 and Goals for '12

2011 has been a pretty good year for our family. Not the best, but certainly not the worst, so I'm going with 'pretty good'. And of course there is always bad that comes along with the good, but since I care nothing about remembering the bad from 2011, I'm focusing on the good. Here are a few highlights of 2011...

1. The top of the list has to be getting to know my birth father and his family. I am so happy to have him, his wife, and my 2 "new" brother's in my life now. It is something that I never knew I wanted, but can't imagine living the rest of my life without now that I have them. So Jimmy, Denise, JJ, Blake, Heather, and Kaitlyn...you're my number one for 2011!! Love y'all much!

2. One of the biggest and hardest decisions we've made this year is to switch church congregations. We will ALWAYS have a special place in our hearts for all of the people that we've spent the last 12 years going to church with. But our family was ready for a change, so in July we made that change. We are so thankful for the way our new church family has taken us in and made us feel so welcome from the very start. We couldn't make it without all of our Christian friends!

3. Another big decision was to begin building our house. I had spent 2 years drawing out house plans on graph paper trying to get it perfect, so early in the summer we decided house perfection was not a possibility, and it was time to just go for it. We are now just a few weeks away from being in the house, and it already seems like we're spending more time in there than we do in the house we currently live in. We've been SO busy with this for the past 6 months, but it will all be worth it when we finally get in.


As far as goals or resolutions go, I usually try to not make any because I seem to set myself up for disappointment. But maybe if I actually put them out there for everyone to read I'll stick to them a little better.

1. Top of this list: get back in shape. A few years ago I was in the best shape I had been in since college because I was running everyday and eating right. It's time to get back to that. I'm currently in a 'biggest loser' competition with 9 other friends that goes until the end of March. And y'all. I don't like to lose. Especially when there is money involved. So here I go. It's time I do this for myself.

2. The next goal is for me to use my kitchen for more than just a room to hold the fridge and the microwave. In a few weeks I will have a beautiful new kitchen and I need to do lots of cooking in there. I do not enjoy cooking and it is not natural for me, but I need to do it more. We eat out WAY too much and that needs to stop. I want to get organized enough to actually have a week or two of meals planned and bought for so I can at least eliminate the excuse of not having anything to fix.

Not that I won't come up with 10 other excuses, but that will no longer be one I can use. This one will be harder for me to accomplish than getting in shape. I truly do not enjoy cooking and would be just as happy with a bowl of cereal every night for dinner. But I have a family that would like a little more diversity than just picking a different cereal.

3. The last big goal I have on my mind is getting my scrapbooks caught up. I have been scrapbooking since Rob and I got married over 14 years ago and this is the first time I've ever gotten this far behind. I'm guessing I'm about 2 years behind at this point and I have over 2,000 pictures on my phone alone that need to be printed out and put into books. My boys will pull out a book and sit on the floor together talking about who everyone is and how little they were and I love that. Scrapbooking is a creative outlet for me and I'm SO excited about having my own scrapbook area in the new house where I can spread everything out and see what all I have and get it all put in order. This goal will more than likely take more than a year to do, but I know there will be major progress made on my scrapbooking in 2012!

And as always, I want to work to be a better person and get closer to God. The closer I am to God, the better EVERYTHING seems to get. This is more of a life goal than a 2012 goal, but this time next year I pray that I can say I'm closer to God and a better woman than I am as I sit here today.

I wish a better than ever year for all of my friends and family. Much love to you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment