Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First Week in the House

We've had a lot going on around here since my last post. And really, the words 'a lot' do not even come CLOSE to what has been going on, but for some reason I decided to start this post before 8:30 in the morning and my brain doesn't really start functioning well until 8:30 in the evening, so I apologize in advance for anything that doesn't make sense.

On Saturday the 14th, we decided that we would get enough moved into the new house to be able to sleep there that night. Our living room furniture was delivered that day along with our new mattress (King size. Can I just say YAY!) so basically all we needed to get in the house were the boys beds and clothes and food for the next day. My in-laws came to help assemble beds and help get things set up, and our friends Josh and Sara also came to help that day.
Austin's bed going up!

The only one of us that was completely moved in after that Saturday was Aaron. That boy was so excited to get in this house that he spent the entire day going back and forth to the trailer getting what was his. He moved all of his own clothes and got them hung up or put in drawers all on his own. Aaron is very much a neat freak and he has been sharing a room with Austin for the past several months (who is exactly the opposite of neat freak) and he was SO ready to get his own room and get it organized exactly the way he wants it.
Aaron and Austin in Aaron's bed

We are slowly getting everything moved into the house from the trailer, and when I say 'slowly', I mean SLOWLY. Basically what it has come down to is me carrying a laundry basket over to the trailer, loading it up, bringing it into the house, unloading it, and starting all over again. It is wearing me out. I never really noticed that you have to walk up a little bit of a hill to get from the trailer to the house, but the later it gets in the day, the more that hill turns into a mountain.

Like the kind of mountain that needs to have an oxygen supply waiting on you when you get to the top of it. 

It's getting better though. The first few mornings we kept having to run over to the trailer to get something we needed, but we aren't doing that anymore, so that's progress.

After I dropped the kids off at school yesterday morning I was sitting at the table eating breakfast and thinking of everything that I needed to get done. I need to be working in the house and I need to be moving things from the trailer, but which is more important? Then my phone rang and it was my mom saying that she was coming to help with whatever I needed, so I put her on things that needed done in the house while I moved things from the trailer. It was the most productive day I've had since the day we moved in. Thank you mama!
Aaron climbed on top of the cabinets to hang a clock for me.

In the next week or two, I'm planning on taking pictures of all of the rooms in the house and telling y'all about some of my favorite things about each room. I need a little more time to find a place for everything and get it all fixed up like I want it, but I promise I'll let y'all see it as soon as I feel it's ready. Right now my focus is to try to get everything out of the trailer so we can get it out of here.

I will say this about the house though. I love it.

Love it. 
Love it.
Love it.

Even though I drew out the plan myself, I never dreamed it would turn out so perfect for us. We spent about 6 months in the building process, and it's so hard to imagine how something I picked out in August would come together with something I picked out in November with everything coming from different places and getting put in at different times.  And a lot of decisions ended up being last minute decisions because I had workers standing there needing an answer RIGHT NOW. In fact, as I look around, I realize how many very noticeable things in the house were last minute decisions. But luckily, I know what style I like and I found most of the process to be fun rather than stressful and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

But I'm not.

EVER.

Or at least not for a very long time.
Our first fire in the fireplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment