Friday, October 21, 2011

The writing on the wall

Do you want to see something exciting? Ok, here it is:


Ok, so maybe this is only exciting to me, but I've been ready for this trailer to pull up at our house since the day we poured the foundation. The cabinets and trim may be a slow-moving part, but it's also a fun part. I love the designing part of house planning and especially with Dennis Salisbury. I've known Dennis for 12 years and I have always respected his work and work ethic. He has such good and creative ideas and can do anything with wood that you may not have even known was possible.

Earlier this week, Dennis and I went through the house talking about each room in detail. There isn't one room in the house that he won't touch, because he is the one that will install all of the interior doors, baseboards and trim, and cabinetry. As we went through the house, he measured the floor and drew out designs on it. He also wrote on a lot of the walls in the house so that he would remember what we talked about when he got to that room.
This is my stair parts order, written on the wall

This is my bathroom vanity, drawn on the floor

Can I just say that you KNOW you are getting a custom closet when the cabinet guy literally pulls out the tape measure and measures the length and width of the shoes you have on your feet, and plans shoe space accordingly. I cannot even speak of the joy that brought me. There are no words.
This is the layout he drew for the cabinets in the game room. Love his ideas here!


Dennis and his guys spent most of their time this week on our wood ceiling. This is the ceiling you can see from all of the main places in the house. It's over the living room, kitchen, stairs, and the extra room we have above the pantry. I absolutely love wood ceilings, so watching this go up this week has been so exciting.


The ceiling in this room goes from 9 feet to about 18 feet tall. So there is scaffolding everywhere right now. We will have the painter stain the ceiling a little darker than it is now, so the finished product will look different.

Have I mentioned that I am really ready to get in this house??


Before our framer left, I asked him to build some benches out of the left over cedar we had from our cedar posts that go around our porch. He built 8 benches for me, so I will put 2 on each side of the house on the porch. I love them.

I am working on getting everything together for decorating the rooms when I am allowed to go in and start decorating. This room is my inspiration for Austin's room. I have Robbie working on getting the silver diamond-plated truck part that I can use as a border in his room. Love that idea.


I've also recently joined in on the pinterest addiction that everyone has been talking about. Here are some of my favorite things I've found there.
This is just a canvas covered in burlap and buttons. I can do this!
I've never thought to paint my butcher block, but how cute is that?!

This is canvas, masking tape and spray paint. Easy.

Love the wood crate magazine storage idea!

I'm not sure yet how many of these I will actually do, but such cute and easy ideas! Or at least they look easy. Don't you hate it when you get into a project and you think it'll be easy, but it ends up being a disaster? Like when you're watching HGTV and they start tearing out walls and put a beautiful room back together in 30 minutes, minus the commercial time, but when you do it yourself it turns into a month long mess...

 That is my fear with some of my pinterest findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment