Monday, September 26, 2011

Fair Week

The day the fair left town last year was the day that Austin started asking when it would be coming back. Well, last week was 'the' week. My feelings on the fair are a little mixed. On the downside, I don't like riding fair rides, I always feel dirty when I leave because it's full of unsanitary practices, and it tends to bring a whole host of super strange people and really bad fashion statements out of hiding. On the positive side, my boys absolutely love it and it makes me happy to see them so excited. And I do love me some fair lemonade and corn dogs, and it's the only time of year I have that.

My two sweet boys.

Brandon, Aaron, and Austin


This was Austin in line to ride the big swinging ship by himself. Two minutes later I chickened out for him and didn't let him ride it alone. He did ride it with Luke later, though.
Aaron and Craig at the demolition derby
Aaron with his friends, Cole, Ethan, Dawson, and Brandon

Last year, my parents decided they would get all of their grand kids a fun pass that gets them into the fair all week and they can ride all of the rides without having to buy tickets. They did that again this year for the kids so they could all go as often as they could all week. There is also a tradition with my parents taking all the grand kids to the fair on the same night so they can all ride the rides together. Except this year, Kaleb and Kaulyn couldn't be there that night, Jennifer is away at college, and Aaron found a friend pretty soon after we got there and stayed with him most of the night. It worked out pretty well though, because Luke and Brandon enjoy riding the same rides, and Austin is perfectly content riding everything by himself.

Aaron and Austin on the tilt-a-whirl.

My mom, dad, and Luke with his famous 'don't see me' pose.


Aaron is in the orange shirt, taking it all in. Austin is behind him with his hands in the air.

The picture above captures my boys exactly as they are. Aaron is cautious, thoughtful, and likes to be in control. Austin is my little thrill-seeker.  One night when we were there Austin wanted to ride on the Ferris Wheel but Aaron didn't, so I told Austin I would go buy some tickets for me so I could ride it with him. That child was bound and determined to ride it by himself, and he was exactly tall enough to ride without an adult, so he jumped on there by himself and had the whole car to himself. It scared me to death. He loved it. That is just how the boy is. Aaron likes the rides, but one of the main reasons he likes to go is that it is time outside of school that he can hang out with friends. He spent a couple of days there with his friend Brent, and a few with his friend Lane.
Aaron and Lane waiting in line.

Aaron and Lane on the bumper cars.

Rob and Aaron...looking good.



Luke and Austin in one car. Aaron and Brandon in the other...getting ready for some crashes.

Luke and Austin on the tilt-a-whirl

So that was our fair week. Aaron went a total of 5 times, and Austin went 4 times. The boys are sad to see it go, Robbie and I are happy to see it go. Austin asked yesterday when it would be coming back to town and I told him it would be this time next year. He said very sadly "momma, that's a whole bunch of days". I said (not so sadly and with a sense of relief) "yes, yes it is".

Me and my lil man

No comments:

Post a Comment