Thursday, April 28, 2011

A procrastination post

Right now we are in the process of trying to get a house built. Well, we've actually been the in process for a good 2 years, but apparently I'm a little too picky and indecisive when it comes to house plans. But I'm pretty sure the plan we've settled on is perfect. Or it will be. After just a few more changes. Anyway, we have a plan and something has made Robbie and I believe that we can contract it out ourselves and save a boatload of money by doing this. I have discovered this week that "ourselves" mostly means "myself" and I'm feeling like suddenly I have a full-time job. And I don't care for those.

This week my days have been spent meeting with contractors, delivering plans, and picking out things that I thought would be months away. But without even a foundation being layed, I already know which sinks, faucets, and tubs we will have. Doesn't that sound more like something that should be a few months away in this process? I would like to say, though, that for a girl who is really only interested in how beautiful the inside of the house looks, I've been able to make a few decisions that I call a little unimportant. Like what kind of siding we will have and what is the ceiling of our porch going to be made of. Umm, I don't really care, but please tell me all 150,000 options that are available just in case I decide to care.

While my days this week have been spent running from one place to another, my evenings have been spent running away from storms. After a tornado hit DeKalb in 1999 and I saw trailer houses up in trees, I vowed to never live in one. Yet, here I am, living in a trailer until we can get this house built, which may or may not happen sometime before Christmas. And actually for the most part it hasn't bothered me too much. On the bright side, we've had no house payments, super low taxes and insurance, and only 1100 square feet to have to keep clean. This bright side quickly goes by the wayside when you hear that all of the storm chasers are headed to your town. My thought is not whether or not to stay here, it is whose house are we going to go to. Luckily we have several friends that offered up their brick, mortar, and shingles so we could at least feel like we had a fighting chance of survival. I must say though, after spending hours at other people's houses this week, our house came through it all untouched. And yes, I have thanked the Lord several times for this. I have seen what these storms have done to other people and it's just horrible. I am amazed that the one room of the house that the people chose to hide-out in ended up being the only room in the house still standing. Whether you believe or not y'all, that's a God thing.

So after spending my days and nights running everywhere, this morning I've found myself with nothing I had to do but one phone call to a contractor. But not spending much time in the house this week has left me with a ton of laundry (who wears all these clothes anyway), dishes that need to be done, and an entire house that needs to be cleaned. So after I got back home from taking the boys to school this morning, I sat in my car listening to my ipod and singing at the top of my lungs for about 20 minutes before I could even make myself come into my filthy house. It was quite possibly the most enjoyable part of my week so far. So I came in my house, gathered my laundry and got it started, and sat down to blog instead of cleaning the filth around me. The way I see it, it's not going anywhere. And it seems to be a storm-free, beautiful next few days, so there should be time. Or maybe that's just the time I need to convince Robbie that with my new found full-time job of house contractor, we should hire a maid.

Maybe if someone else would come in and clean my house for me today, I would have a chance of caring about the upcoming royal wedding that people can't seem to stop talking about.

Or maybe not.
I had to put this pic in of my boys on Easter Sunday. I know I can't get by with matching outfits much longer, so I'm taking advantage while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment