Thursday, May 5, 2011

A not-so-normal day

This morning started out like every other regular school morning. My alarm went off at 6:55, I got up, woke Austin up, then woke Aaron up. We all ate breakfast and got ready for school. Aaron and I went over spelling words (which he did great at), and we got everything put in his backpack. Very typical morning so far.

We were just about to walk out the door and I realized his hair was sticking up in the back so I told him to come in the kitchen to let me put some water on it to lay it down. When he came to the kitchen sink, he grabbed onto the counter, started shaking, and collapsed onto the floor. He kept shaking for a few more seconds and then I helped him stand back up. He was scared and crying and did not even remember falling down. I was more scared than him because I knew what had just happened, but I knew I had to be strong for him, so I held my tears back. I calmly explained to him that he had probably had a seizure (which has never happened before) and we were going to go to the hospital just to make sure everything checked out ok.

Aaron had several tests run while he was in the ER. They checked his blood, urine, did a EKG and a CT scan. Everything checked out normal, and the doctor said that there is a 35% chance this will never happen again. He has an EEG scheduled for next week, but the doctor said that we will probably never know why it happened.

All we can do at this point is pray that this never happens again, and take it as a lesson learned for not taking our health for granted. I know that I have a lot of praying people that read my blog, and I'm asking you to please pray that this is the only time we have to deal with this. When the doctor told us today that his EEG results would have to be sent to Children's in Little Rock to be read, I immediately thought of and prayed for all of the children that have to go there on a regular basis because they have cancer or other life-threatening diseases. I just can't imagine being a parent put in the position of having to watch my child continually suffer from something like that and I am so sad that there are so many kids that have to go through it.

So after we left the ER, we made it Aaron's day. My mother-in-law had Austin at the mall playing, so Robbie, Aaron and I went to Shoguns for lunch (Aaron's choice). Then we picked Austin up and let them both pick out a Redbox and we all came back home. Aaron has been wanting Robbie to put his wench on his 4-wheeler, so after Robbie got that on, Aaron went and intentionally got stuck so he could pull himself out! Such a boy! And he got to use it again later when Robbie got the lawn mower stuck. We also spent quite a bit of time this evening riding the golf cart and throwing rocks in the pond.

Aaron pulling Robbie out of the muddy ditch he got stuck in


It ended up being a nice day with all three of my guys home with me.  Robbie, Aaron, and Austin are absolutely my world and I just don't know what I would do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment