Sunday, August 26, 2012

A day with the Duck Commander



So yesterday was a good day. A friend of ours (Jimmy) made it possible for us to be part of an event that I otherwise wouldn't been able to attend and to meet some people that otherwise I may have never met. He grew up in West Monroe...home of Phil and Miss Kay Robertson, and just happens to be very good friends with the family.

Phil had a speaking engagement yesterday in Nashville, Arkansas for men and boys only. There were 600 tickets sold, and it was a sold-out event. Jimmy invited us to go with he and his wife Jana, along with our friends David and Kimberly, to be part of Phil's entourage for this event. They needed people to help set up, sell things, and pack up. I do not remember having to think even a second about whether or not we could go. If you read this post, then you know that I'm a huge Duck Dynasty fan. I love the show. I love the family. I love what they stand for. All of it.

Yesterday afternoon we met up with Jimmy and his family, and Phil and Miss Kay, and lead the caravan to the Nashville Elementary School. Phil parked right beside us and we all got out of our vehicles. We really only had a few minutes from the time we got there to the time the doors were unlocked so we all met each other and got a few pictures and got busy.
Phil's truck
Phil and I

We unloaded all of the merchandise and got it organized on the tables. It took 3 hours for 600 men and boys to go through that line (some more than once), but we sold a ton of t-shirts, books, DVD's, posters, hats, and of course, duck calls. Phil and Miss Kay met everyone there, signed something for everyone that wanted it, and got their picture made hundreds of times...smiling and laughing all the way through.
Miss Kay is awesome, and exactly like she is on the show.

I was a little afraid of being disappointed after getting to actually meet them, but y'all, we spent hours with these people, and I feel like I could just walk in their house and have a glass of tea without even being looked at like I was crazy. Austin LOVED them and I'm pretty sure he got more hugs from Phil and Miss Kay than anyone else did.
These are a few of the kids dressed up for the look-alike events.
 
Their son Alan and his wife Lisa were also there yesterday. They haven't been on the show in the past, but will be this coming season. When Robbie first introduced himself to Lisa, she said, "you're the one I talked to on the phone the other day". Robbie had no clue what she was talking about, but he had, in fact, talked to her on the phone a few days before this event. Lisa is lovely, inside and out. And, of course, Austin loved her too. I'm so glad we got to meet them both.
Austin, Lisa, and Robbie
Our family with Alan...

We did get to hear some of Phil's speech, and what I heard of it was FABULOUS. I love a speaker that is not afraid to say how it is. And if he steps on toes, is politically incorrect, or makes people mad, then so be it. He says what he believes. And to me, what he believes makes a whole lot of sense. Phil is not some back woods, uneducated redneck. He has his masters degree in education. He started a business in his house that is now worth millions. He is smart. He loves God and he uses Duck Commander as his ministry.
Phil speaking

I could not have more respect for this man.

When the event was over, we all walked out at together. After Phil got in his truck, Austin climbed up in the truck with him and gave him a hug. Phil said, "alright, one last hug boy". Then Austin went to the back seat and Miss Kay gave him a big hug and kissed him. It was precious. We all left feeling like we had known them forever.
Our little helpers

Jimmy and Jana, I'm so grateful for this opportunity to get to know this family and to help serve with them.
The boys with their new duck calls

I'm not sure we will EVER be able to repay this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment