Friday, June 24, 2011

A long post and a movie review

Whew. It's been a day. Well, I guess technically every day is a day, but this was REALLY a day. It starts with this morning just after I woke up. I opened the door to let my dog out wearing what I slept in with my hair a mess, and realized that the concrete people were right outside my front door framing for our foundation for our house that we've just begun building.

At this point I made a mental note to self: there may be men right outside the front door for the next several months, so put some clothes on before opening the door.

 I think maybe I'll remember that from now on. Anyway, I closed the door as fast as I could and told Austin to let her out. Austin was sporting some 'Toy Story' underwear, and he was not ashamed.


So after I got a shower and got ready, the boys and I left for town. We stopped by Kwik Kopy to pick up a few more sets of house plans, and then went to the title company. We are buying 20 more acres along with needing to sign for our construction loan, so we met our banker and the guy we bought the land from at the title company. We were told in advance how much our closing costs would be, and I was Miss Prepared with my check, ready to hand it over. Robbie took off today, so we met him there. Everything went exactly as planned and we were just about to leave when they realized their figure was about $400 off, NOT in our favor. Guess what Miss Prepared didn't have? More checks! So this would mean another trip back to the title company at some point in my day.

From the title company, we went to lunch. The 4 of us enjoyed a nice lunch together and then split up again. Robbie was headed to a bow and arrow shop, and I was headed to the bank and title company. Before I made it to the bank, Robbie called and said that our meeting with the guy from Howtex (a building supply company) had been moved from 2:30 to 12:30, so I needed to change course and go there to go over house plans. We met with him for around 30 minutes (the kids would tell you it was 3 hours) and then went our separate ways again. I went to the bank, got the check I needed, and took it to the title company. Mission complete. 

I suddenly realized I was alone with an hour to kill in town before I was supposed to meet Rob and the boys at the movies. I stopped by the movies and got our tickets, and got back in my car thinking PEDICURE! I felt like I had just enough time to get a pedi until I started trying to figure out how I could get to a nail place, get a pedi, and get back by the time the movie started. If you live around Texarkana, you understand my dilemma. So I settled for shopping at Old Navy instead. It's easier just to not leave the parking lot sometimes.

After a semi-successful trip to Old Navy, I met the boys at the movies for opening day of Cars 2. This was a highly anticipated movie in our house. We have all seen Cars lots of times and we were all  (ok, maybe not Robbie) excited about seeing part 2.

 Before I get into how I feel about the movie, I just HAVE to tell you about the guy that sat by me. He was a Japanese guy that had come to the movie by himself. And before the previews even started, this guy was telling me his situation and asking my advice on what to do. I couldn't understand all of our conversation because his English wasn't great, but what I got out of the conversation was that he is a Japanese entertainment cook, like the ones at Shoguns or Osaka's. His problem is that he doesn't make very much money here, and he has an offer in Bel Air, hosting parties for the rich and famous making around $100,000 per party. He's worried about the cost of living in California, and he's worried about them being too stuck up to appreciate his 'art'. He asked my advice as if he were actually going to take it, so I gave it to him. To me, this is a no-brainer. If you can make $100,000 per event, you wouldn't have to do many of these no matter what your cost of living is. So my advice to this man I've known for all of 15 minutes was, move there and try it. If you hate it, move back. And you know what? I don't even think he had considered that. I could've actually made a difference in this person's life today.

I mean, I probably didn't, but who will EVER know?!

So, Cars 2. Ok, I love Matar as much as the next person, and I like that a large portion of the movie was about him, but really. Must we get so deep in a cartoon? I found the first part of it to be a little boring (Japanese guy fell asleep). And then I found myself not knowing for sure what was going on. I went into the movie thinking that it wasn't going to require much thought because, after all, it's a cartoon. But as it went on, it turned into a 'who done it' type movie with spies, bad guys, good guys, bombs, cars getting killed, etc. Seriously? I really just wanted to see Lightening win some races with some kind of feel good message to go along with it. You know, something that doesn't require a lot of thought, but still good. After all, it's supposed to be a kid movie.  That's not what I got with this movie. I wanted to like it so much, but I didn't enjoy it near as much as Mr. Popper's Penguins.

I think Japanese guy and I could have written a much better script for Cars 2. But of course, that's just my opinion.

After the movie was over, I took Aaron to a 2 hour birthday party at Jumpin Apes (yes, it is feeling like the never-ending day to me also). We left there around 8:15 to FINALLY come home!!

The concrete guys worked today putting up the forms for our foundation, so when I pulled up, I saw this:



Which makes me happy.

Also, our friends, Josh and Sara were at our house so Robbie could look at his boat trailer. Actually, I think they used the trailer as an excuse to come see us because, well, it's just been too long. So Josh and Robbie worked on that while our 5 kids rode circles around us on bikes, scooters, and motorcycles. Then we all came in the house for sno-cones and a few friendly games of wii sports resort. It was fun and a really good ending to this good, but loooong day.

The kids- posing for us on the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment