Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A day with Austin

Those of you that have more than one child know how important it is to have one-on-one time with each child. Austin and I get quite a bit more time alone than I get with Aaron, but he starts kindergarten in August and I know that will all change. Which makes me want to reconsider Robbie's wish to adopt a baby girl.

But I've never really wanted a girl.

And I don't want to have to redo my house plan to fit another person.

And I don't have $30,000 in my back pocket.

Ok, so maybe I won't be reconsidering that, but the thought of both boys in school full time does make me want to enjoy every little bit of summer we have together.

Aaron went to work with Robbie today, so that left Austin and me with a day alone. He did that yesterday too, but I spent the day cleaning and doing laundry while Austin entertained himself, so today I decided there will be no cleaning and no laundry.

Our theater in town is doing a summer movie program, so twice a week they show older movies and only charge $1.00. This is how Austin and I started our day today. Today they were showing Despicable Me, which is a movie that Austin and I both like. When we got to the window to get our tickets, the cashier said that they were sold out. This was a concern of mine when we pulled up and saw 8 preschool vans in the parking lot, all for this one movie. But just as we were about to walk away a girl came out of the theater and said they had bought 3 extra tickets and asked if anyone wanted them. Umm, yes. I'll take all 3. Even though are only 2 of us, but I'll pay an extra dollar for your perfect timing. And we were in!

While we were waiting on the movie to start, Austin kissed my arm and told me to not tell daddy that he was on a date with me. I LOVE that he still thinks he's going to marry me someday. This little boy absolutely thinks I hung the moon, even on my bad days. He's so loving and sweet. I wish I could keep him like this forever. My friend, Terri, taught Bible hour Sunday morning at church and she said that Austin sat by her and he rubbed and kissed her arm and told her that he loves her. But he made sure to tell her to not tell me about it. He was afraid he was cheating on me and I would be mad about it! I'm so glad Terri told me about it though. I just think that is precious. He has such a loving heart. He believes that if he kisses someones arm it goes straight to their heart. Love that!

After the movie was over, we went to Chuck E Cheese for lunch.

Can you tell I gave him all the power this morning?

One thing that I have always admired about Austin is his ability to make friends where ever he goes. Not just friends, but BEST friends. So he brought a little boy about his age over to our table and said, "mom, this is (looks at little boy) what's your name?" Little boy said "Trenton". Austin said "yeah, this is Trenton. He's my best friend." And Trenton shook his head as if to say, "yes i am"! If only I would've kept count of how many best friends Austin has had in his 5 and a half years...

Anyway, I just happened to be sitting by Trenton's mom, so she and I talked while the boys played. Turns out, Trenton is just like Austin. He has a different best friend everywhere he goes. I let Austin play longer than I had intended because of how well the boys got along. When we were getting ready to leave, Trenton came up to me and said "hey, what's his name?" I said "Austin". He said "Austin is my best friend'. Then he showed my a picture that he and Austin had taken together on the little car camera thing. It was very sweet.

From there we had to pick up something for Robbie and then went by a building supply place to look at front doors for our new house. I'm having issues with the front door choices. I don't mean to be picky, but I don't want a plain, 6 panel door, but I also don't like a lot of the doors I've seen with decorative glass. I still have no idea what I'm going to get.

Walmart was our last stop before home. When we got home the plumber was here, hard at work on our new house. I see progress, but I don't think we're going to see our slab being poured until next week. We were hoping for this week, but I've learned this cannot be rushed so I'm trying to be patient.

This is what it looks like today!


Austin spent most of the rest of the afternoon outside supervising the plumber's work. He was standing there with his hands on his hips looking like little boss man.

Can you tell I just love this boy to pieces?

 I told Robbie today that I want some time with Aaron this summer without Austin. I know exactly what he and I would do with our day, and it will be completely different than my day with Austin. My boys are very different from each other and I love that! I'll have to post about mine and Aaron's day after we have that. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment