Thursday, May 19, 2011

Changes

Last night was 5th grade orientation for Aaron. I can't believe he is going to be in middle school. It really doesn't even seem like it's been that long since I was in middle school. I'll never forget Mr. Germany's class when he would say, "WHAT ISSS" and we'd all grab our pen and paper and write down exactly what he said because we knew that what was about to come out of his mouth was important information. And I'll also never forget the first few lines of the poem, Casey at the Bat, and how Matt Thompson sounded when he read it. And the snack bar for lunch. Funyans with cheese, anyone? To this day I sometimes want to slice a bag of Funyans right down the side and pour a bunch of nacho cheese into it. Just give me a plastic spoon and I'll be good to go!

And the health guru's are just now worrying about healthy food at schools. This was 1988 people. It's been a problem for a while.

Anyway, at Aaron's meeting last night, there were several words and phrases used that I'm just not quite ready for at my house. Here are a few:
  • puberty/changes
  • boys start looking at girls differently
  • girls can't show cleavage (seriously? They're 10!)
  • explain bodily changes to your child (whew, Robbie's job!)
  • name calling/bullying
  • boyfriend and girlfriend in the morning, crying over breakup at lunch
I must stop. It's killing me to even go back over all of this in my head.

I need a moment to go cry a little bit right now.

Ok, I'm good. (sigh)

And I must add here, this is why God didn't give me girls. Oh, the hormones and drama.

I'm considering moving to a district where he can be in 5th grade, but still be in elementary school. That would keep him innocent one more year, right?

My only saving grace in all of this is that I know Aaron is a good kid with a kind heart. And it's the kind of good that I'm hoping can withstand even the slightest rise of testosterone. (Ugh, did I really just use the T word?) Aaron is also very close to Robbie, and I think that relationship is going to become even more important in the next few years to both of them. I think he will soon realize that not everyone out there has a dad that cares enough to sense something is wrong, and won't let it go until it's been talked out. Or a dad that will let you tag along on just about anything he is doing. Or a dad that will take you out to breakfast on the weekends just to have that special one and one time.

Ok, when did this post become about Robbie and his awesome daddy skills?!

So, even though I am not at all excited about our upcoming 'changes', I am not too worried about it. Aaron is very mature for his age and has a good head on his shoulders. He thinks things through and has always been cautious with his actions. He can do this.

It's me I'm worried about. I could really use a bag of Funyans with cheese right now.

2 comments:

  1. give it to God, sister!! He will get us through these tough years to come! I am getting anxious about them, too. I'm here for ya, girl! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melyssa! I remember Kaden and Aaron in their little 2 year old class like it was yesterday. Middle school just doesn't seem right, but you're right, I know God's got this! Love ya girl

    ReplyDelete