Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's and Book Review

Ok. If you read my post last week, I mentioned how it had been the best week we had experienced around here in months. Well, this week has been even better than last.

Maybe it was because we only had a 4 day week at school. Maybe it was because Austin seemed to master the spelling words and timed reading book by Monday night (when the test over them wouldn't be until Thursday). Maybe it was because I actually understood Aaron's math homework this week enough to sound like a math whiz. Maybe Cupid shot an arrow at me that was filled with Xanax. I'm not really sure what it was, but over the past week or so, I have a sense of calm that I haven't felt in months, and I have actually been able to relax and enjoy things a little more.

I did hit a milestone this week that also may be helping my mood a bit. I have slowly but steadily been losing weight since school started, and this week I hit the 20 pound mark. I am down about a size and a half. (I would say 2 sizes, but I do enjoy breathing after I get my jeans on, so I'm going to wait a little longer on that). I credit most of this to the inventor of the hysterectomy. I no longer feel the need to eat an entire box of candy bars every 3 weeks, nor do I feel bloated or icky EVER. If you're considering getting one, just do it. I can honestly say that I am a better person because of it. And apparently a lighter one too.

Thursday was Valentine's Day, which means that the school would be filled with cute little cards that say things like 'Beeeee mine' with a picture of a bee on it attached to some form of sugar in a candy wrapper. Aaron was a little jealous this year because middle school doesn't have parties. Or get candy. Or even get little 'Beee mine' cards. Growing up is hard to do. But Austin was beside himself excited to get to give all of his friends a fun size bag of skittles with a sticker on it (because I never claimed to be an over-achiever mom who wants to win the cutest Valentine contest. Unless there really WAS a contest. In which case I would TOTALLY be an over-achiever.) Anyway, Austin's class party included ice cream sundaes, with an add-your-own-toppings set up, along with cupcakes and sprite (and of course the aforementioned card/candy combo times 22). It went smoothly and all of the kids seemed satisfied with the overload of sugar, which happened just in time to send them home for the weekend.
Austin's desk at school

On Friday, the boys and I slept in, then we packed their bags for Grandma's, and headed to town. I took them to get haircuts, then a stop by Books-a-Million, where Austin read 6 books to me to add to our countdown to 200. Then we headed to DeKalb where we met my parents and brother, Craig, for lunch. My brother owns the rodeo arena in town, and the Picadilly Circus was there for a show on Friday evening. After lunch, Craig took Aaron and Austin with him to see what all was going on out there. They spent the day hanging out with Uncle C, and then got to go watch the circus that evening with my parents. Here are some of the pics that my mom took...
My very own little Austin tiger :)
My child is riding an elephant...the things grandparents let you do!
My good-lookin Aaron :)

And this was at my parents house right after the circus...


Bless my momma's heart.

I think it's safe to say that they had a blast. And while our kids were off having fun with the tigers and elephants, we went to Shreveport with Josh and Sara for our Valentine's date night. And it's possible that we had just as much fun as the kids did...maybe even more. There is nothing like a night out with the besties.

This morning I woke up around 6:30, which really is unfortunate since our kids weren't here and I could've slept as late as I wanted, but when I woke up I remembered a book that I had gotten in the mail on Friday that I have been DYING to read, and suddenly reading became more important than sleep. So I got myself out of bed and curled up in the recliner with my book and a blanket. I didn't intend on sitting there and reading the entire book, but Robbie had to leave for a while (At least I think he left. I never really looked up and saw him go. I just know I didn't see him for a while. But the book was so good that it's possible he was sitting in the living room with me all morning and I just never looked up and saw him.) so I ended up reading the entire book in one sitting. It was written by a girl whose blog I have been reading like it's the morning paper for years, and she just wrote her first book. Her name is Melanie Shankle, and the book is called Sparkly Green Earrings.
 
 
Y'all. I laughed out loud. I sobbed until I couldn't see straight. And I just couldn't stop this hysteria until I finished the last chapter. At one point Robbie walked in and I was crying so hard that I could barely speak. Like a good man, he brought me tissues and looked at me like I was possibly losing my mind and I did not care even a little. It is just that good. If you are a mother or mother-to-be, then this book is for you. If you can make it through this book with no emotion, then you are over-medicated, my friend. Get it. Read it. You will thank me.

The rest of today was spent doing laundry and cleaning. This evening, Robbie went to dinner with a friend, and I got Austin back from my parents (Aaron wanted another night in DeKalb), so he and I went on a mommy and me date at Cici's Pizza, where he told me every detail he could remember from the circus last night, along with everything he did today. His face still had some tiger paint on it, so he got more attention than he prefers from other people in the restaurant, but oh my word THE CUTENESS.

Y'all have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment