Friday, June 15, 2012

Our Master Bedroom

This is my 100th blog entry and I want to take a minute to thank all of you that read my blog regularly and encourage me to keep going with it. I started this a little over a year ago mainly just so I could keep up with things that are happening in my life since I don't scrapbook my pictures the way I used to. I didn't really think I would still be keeping up with this a year later, but I really enjoy writing and sharing a part of my life with y'all, so whatever the reason is you keep coming back to read my updates, thank you.

Ok, now on to today's topic. As you know, I've been participating with Kelly's Korner for her Show Us Your Life home tour, and this weeks topic is Bedrooms. Since she has a different date set aside for kids bedrooms, I am only doing my master bedroom today and will be linking up at a later date for the kids rooms.

I love our bedroom so much. The color on our walls is a blueish gray that goes really well with the silver that is in our comforter. The curtains are silver and are almost the same color as the wall (even though they don't really look like it in this picture). We got our bed from Canton (I know, shocker) and it is made out of old doors.

Even the side tables are made of old doors. I fell in love with this bedroom set the minute I saw it in Canton back in October. It is a purchase I do not regret.

I have always wanted to have a trunk in our room and I found this one in Canton on the same day as I got my bed. It was at the Paul Michael store just across from the trade day pavilions. They had it full of glittery Christmas decorations and they had to take all of them out so I could buy it, but they left all of the glitter in it for me to have to clean up. And that hasn't happened yet, so at the moment there is nothing in this trunk but glitter.

I plan to use it for more than that in the future. I just loathe glitter and the thought of it getting all over the floor, bed, and everywhere else within a 5 mile radius keeps me from opening it up and cleaning it out. If anyone has advice on how to get all of the glitter out of this trunk without getting it all over everything else PLEASE share! Until then, it will stay closed to keep the glitter under control.

If you have spent any amount of time on Pinterest, then you've seen this type of canvas 'art'. I made these 4 wall hangings within just a few minutes. If you've never seen it, here's what I did.

I bought a 4 pack of canvas from Michael's and I randomly put painters tape across them. Then I took them outside and sprayed them with spray paint, let them dry, pulled the tape off, and hung them on my wall. Cheap, fast, and easy.

Beside our bed we have a TV hanging on the wall with a table below. We have had this sofa table for years, and it needed a change. This is how it looked before I painted it.

I painted it a silver/gray color to match our room. 

I may be addicted to painting things now. Which may not be a good thing because I am, by no stretch of the imagination, an artist. It's just a creative outlet for me, and I think it's neat to repurpose a piece of furniture that you've had sitting there looking the same way for years.

It's just another form of recycling, right?

Anyway, on this table, I have a picture of Robbie and I from a few years ago on the beach, and I have a picture of my boys. This space seems to be missing something, but I haven't put my finger on what that is yet. I can't really get around the fact that we have a TV hanging on the wall and that there has to be a receiver sitting on that table.

Decorating around real life can be so hard sometimes.

Another object that is hard to make look any kind of good is this brown recliner in our room. We both use it every once in a while, so I guess it is useful, but not at all pretty. Just another one of those 'real life ain't always pretty' things, I guess...

Hope you enjoyed your peek into our master bedroom. If you're stopping by from Kelly's Korner and haven't seen the kitchen and living room post, I'd love for you to go back and look at those too! Y'all have a great weekend!!

3 comments:

  1. I love your furniture! Pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by via Kelly's Korner today!

    Love your bedroom colors. You've really put together a warm and comfortable space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the painter's tape/spray paint/canvas art. That is my kind of crafty :)

    ReplyDelete