Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Seattle and Spokane

On Wednesday, Brandi and I spent the day walking around in Seattle. I just need to say up front - I LOVE SEATTLE! I think it just moved to the top of my list of favorite places to be in America. The weather was absolutely perfect. I've heard that it rains 9 months out of the year there (I think I learned that on Sleepless in Seattle), but last Wednesday it was 65 degrees and beautiful. Such a welcomed change from the 105 we've been having at home.

Parts of Seattle reminds me of being in Europe. Walking through the Public Market Center on Pike was a lot like walking through the open-air markets in Italy. There were people walking around eating a piece of fruit or bread and many of the shops were giving out samples of their fruit. I love that atmosphere and all of the smells. I could live in this place.


This market is also the place of the famous fish throwing guys. We stood there watching the guys throwing fish, cutting them up, and bagging them for people to buy. It was so neat to watch them. They have little songs they sing every once in a while to keep everyone watching.

This marketplace is just beside the water and it was so nice to just stand and look out over the water or to sit and do some people watching. I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to put it into words. But there are no words that would do it justice. The only words I can come up with for Seattle are- pure awesomeness.

 


The tallest building in Seattle is the Bank of America building on 5th Avenue. And y'all. It's big.


It was 2 elevator rides up. The first one took us to the 40th floor. The second took us to the 75th floor. And the elevators moved so fast that we were at the top in a matter of seconds. My ears popped going up and coming back down. The view was just beautiful. You could see all of Seattle. We had first thought about going up in the Space Needle, because that's supposed to give you a good view of Seattle. Umm, no. This is a picture I took from the observation deck where we were of the space needle.
Let's play a game of - can you find the space needle in the haystack of buildings. The building we were in was twice as tall as the Needle. The views were breath-taking.

The cars looked like the little die cast cars that Austin plays with. Awesome view. And for only $3 a piece. It's $5 regularly, but when the cashier asked if we were students, I said "no, but we're mommies" so he gave us the 'mommy' discount. What a good man to know that mommy's need a break just as much as students!

So that was our Wednesday in Seattle. And the only thing I would've changed about the whole day is that we wouldn't have left. But then I may still be there now, and that would be bad for the man that calls me wife and the kids that call me mom.

On Thursday Todd, Brandi, and I headed to Spokane to spend the day. Ok, I did not love Spokane like I did Seattle, but I totally blame Brandi for starting me out with a city that is hard to live up to. I will say this though. We had fun in Spokane. And that's all that matters.

At lunch, Brandi and I were sitting across the table from Todd and we asked him to take our picture. We started laughing about something and COULD NOT STOP. But that did not stop Todd from taking pictures of the events. Here we are.

Laughing.


Still laughing.

Annnnnnddd....still laughing.


Ok. Time to pull it together. This is getting ridiculous.

We were eating at a place called The Elk Public House that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. And the food was yummy.  Todd actually took about 15 pictures while we were uncontrollably laughing, but I think you get the idea of how funny it was.

While we were in Spokane, we went to Riverfront Park where the World Fair was held in 1974. We went up in a gondola so that we could get a better view of the water. The sign when we got our tickets said that it would be 95 degrees in the 20 minute ride. We really didn't believe that it would be THAT hot until we got up in that thing. It was horrible. We were SO hot, there was NO air moving, and there was no escaping that thing. The only good thing I can say about that is that that was one of the events Brandi and I ended up laughing about on Friday night. It was not so funny at the time though. Here are few pics from that ride.

Ok, they're smiling, but they're HOT!

I think the sign that said it was 95 degrees was about 100 degrees off. It was that hot.

We spent a lot of time in the park, that included things like losing a phone and picking it up from lost and found, taking really bad pics of Brandi and I laying in the grass, and riding a train, in which Todd looked like much more of a tourist than I did. Spokane was fun, but Seattle still has my heart.

So that's my trip. I had such a good week of getting away and spending time with Brandi. I only had to make a few house decisions over the phone while I was gone (I will post house pics later in the week), and my kids did well staying with my parents for the week so Robbie could still go to work.

 


 

Thank you Peggy, Todd, and Brandi for opening up your home to me while I was there. I love and already miss y'all. And thank you to Robbie for letting me be gone for a week, and to my parents for keeping my boys.

And I feel like I need to say "And I'd like to thank the Academy" here, but they didn't do anything for me. So I won't.



No comments:

Post a Comment