Friday, July 8, 2011

A week of progress

Have I mentioned that we are building a house? Because we are and I'm SUPER excited about it! I can't tell you how much time I've spent this week looking out my windows trying to see what the workers are doing. Sometimes I wonder if they see me and say, "that girl is looking at us again, look like you're busy"! But they have been working really hard this week. And with temps in the 100's, I really do feel bad for them. I think we would have a lot more done by now if it wasn't so stinking HOT and they didn't have to stop working and taking so many breaks so they don't die from the heat. I'm not sure our builders insurance would cover that.

Monday
So this is what the house looked like Monday. The concrete workers worked all through July 4th weekend to get ready to pour the slab on Tuesday. They were even here Sunday morning working. Which is why I, again, stepped out in my PJ's to let the dog out. Who would've thought they'd be here then?! These were some dedicated people.

Tuesday
Of course, I HAD to get a picture of the first concrete being poured on Tuesday morning! I was so excited I just wanted to go out and be a part of it but, well, it's hot. And I know nothing about pouring or smoothing concrete. And...it's just hot.

Tuesday evening
This was Tuesday night after all was said and done on the foundation. At this point all we can do is hope that their measurements were right and the plumber wasn't off on his placement of pipes and whatever those other little things sticking up out of the concrete are.


And this was Wednesday. Ha! Wouldn't that be awesome! Foundation one day, house complete the next! Ok, so this isn't my house, but it is the front doors I ordered this week for my house. I love them. Wednesday was just a rest day I guess, because we didn't have anyone out here working all day long. And I missed them all.

Thursday

On Thursday, the framers came out and got started getting it all measured out. They popped chalk lines to outline the rooms and doors. And they also got some of the wood down where it is supposed to go. I love walking around out there and really being able to see it all lined out like it's going to be. Makes it seem real I guess.

Thursday
We also had our brick layer out here Thursday working on our safe room that will be in our garage. We figured since we live in Tornado Alley, a safe room probably would not be a bad idea. My neighbor came down to check on our house progress today and he asked what that room is going to be. This is our conversation.

Him: "What's that brick room y'all are building?"
Me: "It will be our safe room."
Him:  "Oh, ok...well, you know you could also use that as a storm cellar if a tornado comes through, don't you?"
Me:  "Yes sir, that is why we are building it. To keep us safe in a storm."
Him: "Ohhhh, I thought you were building a room to keep your money safe."
Me: "After we build this house, we will have no money to keep safe!"

Oh how I enjoyed that conversation.

Safe room- Friday


And this is what the room that will keep all of our money safe looks like today. It's just missing the door and the concrete top. If only the house could go up as fast as the safe room did.....

Friday


The framers were back out here today getting everything ready to throw some walls up next week. I made them some sno-cones and had the boys take them out to the guys that were working. I think they took that as a sign that it's quitting time, when I meant it as a sign to KEEP GOING! So they left about 10 minutes after getting their sno-cones, and I'm assuming they will not come back today.

I can't wait to see the progress that next week brings! This is so fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment